Church Records

Altar

All enquiries about historical Registers should be made to:

Records & Research Centre
Castle Gates
Shrewsbury
Tel. 01743 255350

The following historical Registers are held in Shrewsbury:

General Registers : 1558 - 1755

Baptism Registers and Burial Registers : 1756 - 1812

Baptism Registers : 1813 - 1976

Burial Registers : 1813 - 1975

Marriage Registers : 1754 - 1976

Banns Registers : 1870 - 1917

Banns Registers : 1939 - 1970

Confirmation Registers : 1909 - 1965

Registers in current use are available for consultation. Applications for searches for St Laurence Ludlow should be made to:

The Parish Office
2 College Street
Ludlow
Tel. 01584 872073

It is regretted that there will sometimes be a delay in answering queries.

The cemetry in Henley Road, Ludlow is administered by:

The Town Council
The Buttercross
Ludlow
Tel. 01584 878437

Genealogical Records
The Parish Office of St Laurence’s has a record of current and recent registers of baptism, marriage and burials. The office is required by law to forward older registers to the relevant civil Public Records Office. In the case of St Laurence’s, this is Shrewsbury.
The Ludlow Historical Research Group has an archive of local material and run help sessions at Ludlow library.

Burial research
St Laurence’s Church was built in 1199 and from this time until 1820, burials were located in the churchyard. The churchyard was closed in 1852 and levelled in 1955. The St Laurence’s office has a record of most of the monuments and memorial plaques in the church but not of burials in the churchyard; the Shrewsbury records are the only ones. . There are some areas (e.g. under the organ and possibly under the pew plinths) in the church where full records have not been made.
From 1820 until 1900, the “new burial ground” at St Leonard’s (Lower Corve St) was used as the burial ground for St Laurence’s. There is a map and a record of all known burials recorded at this burial ground at the St Laurence’s office . These records are from a survey that was carried out in about 1980, although many stones were already partly illegible and/or damaged. All burials from 1900 were made in the Henley Road cemetery.
Other research
Although Ludlow in the  country of Shropshire, St. Laurence’s is within the Diocese of Hereford.  Many papers relating to the ‘religious’ history of St. Laurence’s (e.g. appointments of staff and Faculty records) are available via the Diocesean office at Hereford Cathedral, but their older records have been transferred to the Hereford Public Records Office,  where they are available to the public.
RSS